Job Opportunities at Big Reuse
Part-time Field Assistant, NYC Compost Project hosted by Big Reuse
Reports to: Project Manager, NYC Compost Project
The NYC Compost Project, created by the NYC Department of Sanitation in 1993, provides compost education and outreach to NYC residents, community groups, city agencies and non-profits. The NYC Compost Project offers compost-related workshops and classes, runs the Master Composter Certificate Program, provides technical composting support, develops urban farms, and tables at public events throughout all five boroughs. The NYC Compost Project also operates neighborhood-based food scrap drop-off opportunities and ensures that those food scraps are composted locally.
The NYC Compost Project hosted by Big Reuse is a community-scale composting program that works to increase capacity for, acceptance of, and participation in composting in New York City. We serve the public by hosting weekly residential food scrap drop-off sites, training community members in urban composting best practices, and creating and providing high-quality compost to amend our city’s soils. Finished compost is used in community gardens, school gardens, street tree beds and other public beautification projects. The New York City Compost Project Local Organics Recovery Program (LORP) was launched in the spring of 2012 by DSNY to provide NYC residents with a wider range of food scrap drop-off opportunities. Organic materials dropped off at at NYC Compost Project hosted by Big Reuse sites are composted locally in Long Island City.
The NYC Compost Project seeks an enthusiastic individual with compost and outreach experience for a part-time Field Assistant, a program of DSNY’s Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability. Field Assistants are responsible for the collection of food scraps at their assigned drop-off site and promotion of food scrap diversion for composting. An understanding of the importance of composting is beneficial. The position requires good communications skills, the ability to think on one’s feet, and the willingness to work 7-8 hour days in all weather, and on weekends and holidays.
- Act as an ambassador of the NYC Compost Project.
- Conduct community outreach at food scrap drop-offs at farmer’s markets, Queens Library locations, and Commuter Composting locations and other public events, as needed.
- Assist in volunteer management at compost workdays and events, as needed.
- Assist with intake, storage and distribution of DSNY compost and mulch at Big Reuse, as needed
- Additional duties as determined by NYC Compost Project Program Manager.
· Outgoing personality and a passion for urban agriculture, composting, and community-based outreach.
· Driver’s license. Experience driving a box truck, preferable.
· Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and provide regular feedback to program manager.
· Must be able to work Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays and other days as assigned.
· Strong communication skills and experience supervising volunteers.
· Ability to lift up to 40 lbs alone or a shared load of up to 70lbs; and to generally handle physically strenuous tasks in all weather conditions.
· Commitment to and working knowledge of composting practices for urban settings
· Basic understanding of NYC government and DSNY’s Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability.
Hours and Compensation: This is an hourly position for 12-20 hours per week, pay $15.00 per hour.
This position is based in western Queens and requires traveling throughout Queens and North Brooklyn.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NYC Compost Project Field Assistant” in the subject line. The application process is rolling.
Please no phone calls or emails regarding this position. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Big Reuse is always seeking qualified applications for temporary deconstruction staff. Please send your resume to email@example.com.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with Donations and Deconstruction teams to pick up and sometimes dismantle items that are being donated to Big Reuse.
- Be available on an "on-call basis" for working pick-ups and deconstruction jobs. Hours will fluctuate on a daily basis.
- Applicant must have a good work ethic.
- Work reliably and effectively, both independently and as part of team of staff/volunteers.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment and comply with all procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Heavy lifting and moving of inventory will be required (100lbs).
- Experience on a construction site/project and or job site is preferred.
- Knowledge of building materials and basic hand tools is a plus.
- New York drivers license is a plus, especially experience driving a truck. Big Reuse has a 16 foot box truck - please mention if you have experience driving a similar vehicle.
- Flexible schedule is required - lead time for jobs ranges from one week to one day's notice.
How to Apply:
- Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.