The NYC Compost Project works to rebuild NYC’s soils by providing New Yorkers with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities they need to produce and use compost locally. The NYC Compost Project is funded and managed by the NYC Department of Sanitation through the Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability (BRS).
The NYC Compost Project Hosted by Big Reuse seeks an enthusiastic individual with compost and outreach experience to join our team as a part-time Field Assistant. Field Assistants are responsible for the collection of food scraps at drop-off sites and promotion of food scrap diversion for composting. An understanding of the importance of composting is beneficial. The position requires good communications skills, the ability to think on one’s feet, and the willingness to work 8 hour days in all weather and on weekends and holidays.
Department: The NYC Compost Project Hosted by Big Reuse
Reports to: Project Manager, NYC Compost Project
- Staff regular weekly food scrap drop-offs (FSDO)
- Communicate with the public about organics recycling opportunities and promote curbside organics collection
- Act as an overall ambassador of the NYC Compost Project to NYC residents.
- Drive a box truck throughout Queens and North Brooklyn
- Load/unload and set up materials from a box truck at FSDO sites and compost processing sites
- Organize and track organics intake for recordkeeping purposes and provide required data for monthly reports
- Help implement outreach strategies to promote FSDO and grow residential participation
- Provide feedback from the field to the Project Manager and Project Coordinator
- Assist in volunteer management at compost workdays and events as needed
- Additional duties as determined by the NYC Compost Project Manager
- Outgoing with a passion for composting and community-based outreach
- Driver’s license
- Experience driving a box truck preferable
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and provide regular feedback to the team
- Must be able to work Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays and other days as assigned
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs or a shared load of 100 lbs and handle physically strenuous tasks in all weather conditions
- Commitment to and working knowledge of composting practices for urban settings
- Basic understanding of NYC government and BRS
Hours and Compensation: This is an hourly position for 15-25 hours per week, pay $17/hour
How to Apply: Please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position desired and days of availability to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are accepting applications through 2/23/18.
Big Reuse is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer