The NYC Compost Project works to rebuild NYC’s soils by providing New Yorkers with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities they need to produce and use compost locally. The project is funded and managed by the NYC Department of Sanitation’s Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability. Learn more at nyc.gov/compostproject. The NYC Organics Collection Outreach Associate is based out of Big Reuse, one of the NYC Compost Project host sites, and is directly managed by Organics Outreach Manager at DSNY.
The NYC Organics Collection Outreach Associate is primarily responsible for providing NYC residents that live in the organics collection areas with information about the NYC Organics Collection Program. The Outreach Associate will focus in Brooklyn and Queens to build enthusiasm about the program so as to increase resident participation and lower contamination rates. Outreach Associates will work alongside the delivery trucks for speaking with residents and answering any questions about the program while the organics bins are being delivered. Additionally, Outreach Associates will staff information tables in the various neighborhoods so as to educate residents about the program after the bins have been delivered. Candidates need to be able to track the necessary programmatic information and submit to the Organics Outreach Manager as requested.
- Outreach Associate staff will work up to 40 hours/week for 1 year working to expand public participation and awareness in curbside organics collection.
- Work weeks vary and include Sun – Thurs, Tues – Sat, and Mon – Fri
- Schedules vary between 8am – 4pm, 9am – 5pm, and 10am – 6pm. Evenings as required.
- Explain how to participate in organics collection and set-up and maintain the kitchen collector and outdoor bin.
- Answer questions from residents and general public during bin deliveries and at general outreach events using appropriate talking points.
- Take notes if residents or the general public needs follow up on an issue, and communicate concerns to the Organics Outreach Manager accordingly.
- Offer print materials to residents in the delivery areas.
- Provide outreach to local convenience stores and hardware stores to carry proper compostable bags.
- Ideal candidates will be interested in public outreach and enthusiastic about composting, food scrap and yard waste recycling.
- Outgoing public speaker, ease with interfacing with the public. Comfortable in a wide range of environments.
- Valid NYS driver’s license and is willing to drive, using Zip cars and/or rental cars, as needed in NYC.
- Chinese, Spanish, Polish, Arabic, or Russian language fluency an asset.
- Experience with a wide range of computer applications (Excel, MS Word, Outlook, +)
- Able to work effectively both in teams and independently.
- Knowledge of NYC and familiarity with its neighborhoods.
- Minimum two years of related work experience.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree (Preferably in Environmental or Horticultural Science or another related field)
- Preferred: access to cell phone and/or smart phone while in field.
How to Apply
- Send resume, cover letter and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Outreach Associate” followed by your first and last name in the subject line of the email.
- No phone calls please.
Salary and Benefits
- $40,000 annual salary with health benefits and PTO.