For more information on specific items, please contact our Reuse Center.
Big Reuse Brooklyn
1 12th St
Brooklyn, NY 11215
For questions or concerns about our online store and sales, please use the contact form on this page or email us directly at [email protected].
Executive Director and Founder
Justin Green is the Founder and Executive Director of Big Reuse. Justin has overseen Big Reuse's development from its’ beginning in 2004, having managed the first two deconstruction projects for the Durst Organization that generated the materials required to launch Big Reuse. Justin helped develop the team at Big Reuse the community composting model which Big Reuse has expanded two include two sites. Together with the original Board of Big Reuse - he created the independent non-profit organization Big Initiatives to host Big Reuse in 2015 when it became independent. Justin also piloted and directed NYC Cool Roofs for its first two years. Before Big Reuse, Justin worked at a non-profit addressing the housing and energy efficiency needs of low- and middle-income communities. While there, Justin assisted their efforts to establish a statewide loan fund for the installation of energy efficiency measures. He has also managed construction crews in residential development, worked as a Loan Associate with Low Income Investment Fund monitoring loans to non-profit housing developers, and designed for an educational dotcom. Justin received his BA with a double major in Economics and Community Development from Oberlin College.
Director - Brooklyn Reuse Center
Compost Project- Operations Manager
Big Reuse Marketing Intern
The Big Reuse Intern is primarily responsible for helping to build out the Big Reuse Google Ads Grant account, monitoring and improving marketing metrics. The intern will also contribute to any outreach campaigns including flyer design and distribution, developing press, donor, supporter and other contact lists. The intern may also be asked to prepare documents and flyers in the Adobe graphics suite.
Candidates need to be tech savvy, familiar with Adobe suite and ideally have basic graphics capabilities.
- Outreach Associate staff will work 6 hours/week to expand public awareness of the Big Reuse Donation Center/Store. Position would run until the end of June 2019 with a possibility of extending beyond that.
- Work weeks vary but are typically Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
- Maintain and develop the Google Ads Account.
- Maintain the Google Business account.
- Contribute to design, production and distribution of print marketing campaigns.
- Assist in maintaining online listings.
- Provide outreach to local stores for marketing materials.
- Ideal candidates will be interested in marketing, advertising, public outreach.
- Enthusiastic about reuse, and keeping usable homegoods, appliances, furniture and C&D materials out of landfill.
- Experience with a wide range of computer applications (Excel, MS Word, Outlook, +)
- Ability to commute to Gowanus, Brooklyn and willingness to work in a warehouse environment.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree (Preferably in Environmental Science, Marketing or another related field)
This is an unpaid position.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
- Send resume, cover letter and references to: [email protected] with “Marketing Intern” followed by your first and last name in the subject line of the email.
- No phone calls please.
Empire State Development
Empire State Development (ESD), Big Reuse's primary funder, encourages and supports activities that both strengthen the State's economy and protect and preserve the environment. To accomplish this, ESD offers a range of resources to help businesses identify and transform environmental concerns into market opportunities and competitive advantages. Through its Environmental Services Unit (ESU), ESD provides New York State businesses with the tools they need to understand and comply with environmental regulations and provides financial assistance for investments in projects that improve business productivity and competitiveness through enhanced environmental performance. For more information on New York State's environmental services, contact Empire State Development at 1-800-STATE-NY or 1-800-782-8369.
Zapier is an online automation tool that connects your favorite apps, such as Gmail, Slack, MailChimp, and over 750 more. You can connect two or more apps to automate repetitive tasks without coding or relying on developers to build the integration. Move info between your web apps automatically, so you can focus on your most important work. It's easy enough that anyone can build their own app workflows with just a few clicks.