For more information on specific items, please contact our Reuse Center.
Big Reuse Brooklyn
1 12th St
Brooklyn, NY 11215
For questions or concerns about our online store and sales, please use the contact form on this page or email us directly at [email protected].
Executive Director and Founder
Justin Green is the Founder and Executive Director of Big Reuse. Justin has overseen Big Reuse's development from its’ beginning in 2004, having managed the first two deconstruction projects for the Durst Organization that generated the materials required to launch Big Reuse. Justin helped develop the team at Big Reuse the community composting model which Big Reuse has expanded two include two sites. Together with the original Board of Big Reuse - he created the independent non-profit organization Big Initiatives to host Big Reuse in 2015 when it became independent. Justin also piloted and directed NYC Cool Roofs for its first two years. Before Big Reuse, Justin worked at a non-profit addressing the housing and energy efficiency needs of low- and middle-income communities. While there, Justin assisted their efforts to establish a statewide loan fund for the installation of energy efficiency measures. He has also managed construction crews in residential development, worked as a Loan Associate with Low Income Investment Fund monitoring loans to non-profit housing developers, and designed for an educational dotcom. Justin received his BA with a double major in Economics and Community Development from Oberlin College.
Director - Brooklyn Reuse Center
Compost Project- Operations Manager
Driver & Donation Associate
Big Reuse Donations Associate & Driver Job Description
Big Reuse is a non-profit organization supporting community based environmental initiatives through the reuse of materials, work training, and community composting. Big Reuse seeks to combat climate change and create a green economy with living wage jobs through social enterprise.
Our Reuse Center takes in donations of almost anything reusable - furniture, clothes, homegoods, books, appliances, plumbing and lighting fixtures, doors & windows, kitchen cabinet sets, reclaimed lumber, and more.
This is for a full time driver over position based at our Brooklyn reuse center. Offering the opportunity to work with a great team committed to protecting the environment and diverting waste from landfills.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
- Full time (40 hours per wk): 8 hour shifts, scheduled 5 days per week, 9am-5pm. Monday - Friday. Occasional weekend or evening shift may be required.
- Ability to safely operate a box truck, must be NYS licensed with experience driving a truck. Excellent driving record.
- Represent Big Reuse in the community, performing professional, safe off-site pickups.
- Basic construction experience strongly preferred for deconstructions.
- Assist in maintaining, charging and cleaning electric box trucks.
- Carefully and safely move donations of building materials, homegoods, clothing and furniture from donors off site to the truck and reuse warehouse.
- Handle timely pickups, directions, and receipts using provided tablet.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by keeping truck, loading dock, aisles, storage areas, and deconstruction equipment neat and in proper working order.
- Work reliably and effectively, both independently and as part of a team of staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Attend weekly donations meetings and quarterly all-staff meetings.
- Passion about the environment.
- Experience in driving and navigating in city.
- Removals and delivery experience preferred.
- Good communicator with experience working with a team.
- Ability to come in early, stay late on occasion and always be on time.
- Position requires lifting (up to 60 lbs.) on a regular basis. Individual must have ability to perform intense and repetitive physical work including bending, lifting & moving material, standing, walking.
- Computer literate – Windows - ability to use tablet.
- Knowledge of construction and building materials.
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY:
People of color, all genders, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. Big Reuse is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Big Reuse is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law
- $17 per hour
- Generous Health benefits - health, dental, eye
- Generous paid time off
- Staff discount
- Regular shift and hours with paid lunch break
HOW TO APPLY:
- Attach your resume to your email,
- Put short cover letter in the body of your email describing your specific qualifications and your environmental passion.
- Send to [email protected]
Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls.
Big Reuse Marketing Intern
The Big Reuse Intern is primarily responsible for helping to build out the Big Reuse Google Ads Grant account, monitoring and improving marketing metrics. The intern will also contribute to any outreach campaigns including flyer design and distribution, developing press, donor, supporter and other contact lists. The intern may also be asked to prepare documents and flyers in the Adobe graphics suite.
Candidates need to be tech savvy, familiar with Adobe suite and ideally have basic graphics capabilities.
- Outreach Associate staff will work 6 hours/week to expand public awareness of the Big Reuse Donation Center/Store. Position would run until the end of June 2019 with a possibility of extending beyond that.
- Work weeks vary but are typically Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
- Maintain and develop the Google Ads Account.
- Maintain the Google Business account.
- Contribute to design, production and distribution of print marketing campaigns.
- Assist in maintaining online listings.
- Provide outreach to local stores for marketing materials.
- Ideal candidates will be interested in marketing, advertising, public outreach.
- Enthusiastic about reuse, and keeping usable homegoods, appliances, furniture and C&D materials out of landfill.
- Experience with a wide range of computer applications (Excel, MS Word, Outlook, +)
- Ability to commute to Gowanus, Brooklyn and willingness to work in a warehouse environment.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree (Preferably in Environmental Science, Marketing or another related field)
This is an unpaid position.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
- Send resume, cover letter and references to: [email protected] with “Marketing Intern” followed by your first and last name in the subject line of the email.
- No phone calls please.
Empire State Development
Empire State Development (ESD), Big Reuse's primary funder, encourages and supports activities that both strengthen the State's economy and protect and preserve the environment. To accomplish this, ESD offers a range of resources to help businesses identify and transform environmental concerns into market opportunities and competitive advantages. Through its Environmental Services Unit (ESU), ESD provides New York State businesses with the tools they need to understand and comply with environmental regulations and provides financial assistance for investments in projects that improve business productivity and competitiveness through enhanced environmental performance. For more information on New York State's environmental services, contact Empire State Development at 1-800-STATE-NY or 1-800-782-8369.
Zapier is an online automation tool that connects your favorite apps, such as Gmail, Slack, MailChimp, and over 750 more. You can connect two or more apps to automate repetitive tasks without coding or relying on developers to build the integration. Move info between your web apps automatically, so you can focus on your most important work. It's easy enough that anyone can build their own app workflows with just a few clicks.