Big Reuse Associate Job Description
Big Reuse is a non-profit organization supporting community based environmental initiatives. Through the reuse of materials, work training, and community composting, Big Reuse seeks to combat climate change and create a green economy with living wage jobs through social enterprise.
Our Reuse Center takes in donations of almost anything reusable - furniture, clothes, homegoods, books, appliances, plumbing and lighting fixtures, doors & windows, kitchen cabinet sets, reclaimed lumber, and more.
This is for a full time position at our Brooklyn reuse center - 1 12th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11215. Offering the opportunity to work with a great team committed to protecting the environment and diverting waste from landfills.
SCHEDULE: Full time (40 hours per wk - 8 hour shifts, 5 days per week OR 36 hours per wk - 9 hour shifts, 4 days per week) - will include a weekend shift. This is an hourly job,
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Accept and move donations of materials and furniture.
- Move, organize, and merchandise inventory.
- Perform transactions on the point of sale system
- Assist with processing and pricing donations.
- Clean store by keeping shelves, aisles, storage areas, and equipment organized, swept and clean.
- Work reliably and effectively, both independently and as part of team of staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Clean bathroom and other cleaning duties in rotation with other team members.
- Lead teams of work trainees and volunteers.
- Attend weekly reuse center meetings and quarterly all-staff meetings.
- Work a regular weekend shift.
- Great customer service - retail/sales experience preferred.
- Ability to come in early, stay late on occasion and always be on time.
- Position requires lifting (up to 50 lbs.) on a regular basis. Individual must have ability to perform intense and repetitive physical work including bending, lifting & moving material, standing, walking.
- Computer literate - windows. Able to research donated items for pricing.
- Open to input and feedback, takes direction well.
- Strong communicator -- ability to present information clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- High energy and even-keeled temperament.
- Passion about the environment.
- Experience working with volunteers and/or work training groups
- Knowledge of construction and building materials.
- $16 per hour
- Generous Health benefits, paid time off, staff discount.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Attach your resume to your email, and send to [email protected]
- Put short cover letter in the body of your email describing your specific qualifications and your environmental passion.
Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls.
Big Reuse (www.bigreuse.org) is a non-profit organization supporting community based environmental initiatives. Through reuse, green job training, community composting, and environmental outreach – Big Reuse fights climate change with zero waste initiatives.
Our Reuse Center take in donations of furniture, home goods, clothing, appliances, plumbing, lighting fixtures, doors & windows, kitchen cabinet sets, reclaimed lumber, and much, much more.
This is for a full time position at our Brooklyn reuse center – 1 12th Street, Brooklyn, NY. Offering the opportunity to work with a great team committed to protecting the environment and diverting waste from landfills.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Big Reuse is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Big Reuse is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
ORGANICS RECOVERY COORDINATOR
The NYC Compost Project, created by the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) in 1993, works to reduce waste in NYC and rebuild NYC's soil by providing New Yorkers with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities they need to produce and use compost locally. NYC Compost Project programs and staff are funded and managed through the DSNY Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability (BRS) in partnership with host institutions.
The Organics Recovery Coordinator is employed by Big Reuse and is managed by the Project Manager. This position is primarily responsible for accepting and processing food waste in diverse neighborhoods. This position also assists with outreach in target neighborhoods to increase participation in the drop-off program.
- Drive box truck throughout NYC to collect food scraps and deliver them to local processing sites
- Safely and efficiently operate large vehicles and other equipment on daily routes
- Safely and efficiently move heavy containers full of food scraps
- Provide data for monthly reports about food scrap drop-off sites, including locations, community participation, and quantity of scraps collected. Submit data on a weekly basis through Field Data Collection Form.
- Model best practices in urban composting operations to expand the quantity of NYC organics that are processed locally and to produce high-quality finished product.
- Act as a liaison for drop-off sites and communicate all requests and changes from the field to Project Coordinator and Project Manager.
- Communicate all events, accidents and issues that arise in the field.
- Work with the Project Coordinator to set up a weekly schedule and tasks.
- Support Operations Coordinators in processing organics at Queensbridge Park Compost Site and Salt Lot Community Compost Site
- Assist in coordinating logistics for regular operations and in establishing new FSDO opportunities
- Perform other departmental or related duties or special projects as directed by Project Manager and/or NYC Compost Project Program Manager
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (ideally, in a related field)
- Experience with diverse computer applications (Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, Access, MS Outlook, Salesforce, Google Applications)
- Minimum one year of related work experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with the public, alone and in a team, in a variety of settings
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Experience and comfort with city driving and knowledge of NYC streets and highways
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and to perform physically strenuous tasks
- Knowledge and commitment to composting
- Bilingual skills preferred but not required
- Ability to work weekend and evening hours as needed in all weather conditions
- Ability to travel locally throughout NYC
- Experience driving a box truck
this position is hourly, $20/hr